The health care system is expensive and complex, often leading to barriers to necessary care and primary prevention. Vulnerable and low-income populations face especially onerous difficulties accessing care and avoiding serious illness.
The Impact We Seek
To promote a health care system that is more coordinated, affordable and accessible through:
- Educating and influencing policymakers
- Strong leadership
- Innovative approaches to systems-level issues
To address these needs in health, we fund programs and projects in these areas:
- Access to care
- Improvements to the cost-effectiveness of the health care system
- Health policy and public health leadership
- Primary prevention
Collaborations and Leadership in Health
In addition to inviting grant applications for these grant priorities, the Health program area takes leadership by creating and participating in initiatives to change the community. Here are a few examples:
- Early Childhood Mental Health Study – In partnership with Caring for Colorado Foundation and our Child and Family Development program area, we completed an environmental scan (PDF) of Colorado’s early childhood mental health systems, which identified many gaps, as well as steps for addressing systemic challenges.
- Boomers Leading Change in Health - In partnership with the Aging program area, this is part of a national initiative to harness the experience, energy and conviction of adults 50+ to make a difference in the lives of individuals and families by creating healthier, better informed and more confident health care consumers and improving access to health care for all. Visit Boomers Leading Change in Health's website.
- Affordable Care Act – We were an early supporter of Colorado’s implementation of the Affordable Care Act. Two grants helped to leverage nearly $19 million in federal dollars for Colorado’s health benefit exchange, now Connect for Health Colorado. And, we continue to support a staff position within the Governor’s Office to provide health policy expertise, to educate consumers and continue health reform implementation. Read more about health reform in Colorado on the state's health care reform information site.
A variety of resources inform our work in Health. View our studies and reports.
We invite you to join us as we connect people, resources and innovative ideas to strengthen the community. Please contact the Health program officer if you are interested in joining us in this work.