Roots & Branches Foundation
Get Involved. Get Connected. Give Together.
Roots & Branches Foundation is a collaborative philanthropy program at Rose Community Foundation for Jewish people ages 25 to 40 who are interested in giving together to help shape their Jewish and broader communities.
We are accepting applications. Click on "Applying" to learn more!
- The Commitment
- The Meetings
Each year, Roots & Branches Foundation brings together a diverse, talented and motivated group of Jewish people who work together to make a difference in the Greater Denver community.
We value diversity. Participants’ Jewish backgrounds range from secular to Orthodox. Some are native Coloradans and others are newcomers to the area. Their occupations vary from meteorologist to teacher, stay-at-home-parent to lawyer, and yoga instructor to psychiatrist. They are foodies, activists and musicians. This year we are pleased to begin accepting applications from people who are employed by Jewish organizations.
Roots & Branches members…
- Leverage time, talent and personal philanthropy to make a greater difference.
- Connect Jewish values to the good they seek to do in the community.
- Learn about and connect with Greater Denver and Boulder’s Jewish communities.
- Research and discuss community needs.
- Engage in strategic philanthropy – identify a community need or opportunity, learn about nonprofits working in that area and award grants totaling up to $50,000.
- Become a part of the next generation of funders at Rose Community Foundation.
View our 2015-2016 members.
Applying to participate in Roots & Branches Foundation is a two-part process: an online written application and an informal, informational interview with a Roots & Branches alumnus. The application deadline is Monday, June 6, 2016, at noon, but in order to guarantee you will receive an alumni interview, please apply or let us know that you plan to apply as early as possible. You can request an interview by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each year, more people apply to participate in Roots & Branches Foundation than there are spaces in the program. All applications are reviewed by a selection committee comprised of Rose Community Foundation staff, volunteer leaders and Roots & Branches Foundation alumni. Applications are reviewed blind; all personally identifying information is removed before selectors receive applications. The selection committee also considers alumni interview feedback on each applicant. The committee discusses each application and selects members primarily for their demographic, professional, personal and Jewish diversity and for the degree to which each applicant will benefit from and contribute to the Roots & Branches experience.
All applicants should reside within the Greater Denver community of Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas and Jefferson counties, and should identify as Jewish.
Members are required to:
- Attend and participate in all meetings (one pre-approved absence is permitted).
- Spend some time outside of meetings reading, researching issues and meeting with nonprofits for site visits.
- Make a personally meaningful donation to the Roots & Branches grantmaking pool. We recognize that members have diverse circumstances and we believe philanthropy is defined by intention and commitment, not by gift size, so there is no recommended donation amount and amounts contributed are kept confidential.
Members of Roots & Branches Foundation work together in consensus; all voices and perspectives are considered before a final decision is reached. This kind of collaboration requires participants to be curious, open, patient and committed to process, not just outcomes. Working as a team in this way is rewarding, but we realize it is not for everyone. We ask applicants to consider their comfort with group collaboration before applying.
Members of Roots & Branches Foundation will meet for six sessions over six months, from July through December 2016. Rose Community Foundation staff supports the group and facilitates its meetings.
2016 Meeting Dates and Times
Meetings will be held once a month on Sundays or Wednesdays at locations throughout Greater Denver and Boulder.
- July Meeting: Sunday, July 17, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- August Meeting: Wednesday, August 17, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- September Meeting: Sunday, September 11, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- October Meeting: Wednesday, October 19, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- November Meeting: Wednesday, November 16, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- December Meeting: Wednesday, December 7, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
The Roots & Branches Foundation Alumni Council is comprised of volunteers from previous Roots & Branches classes. The Council meets quarterly to plans events and programs for the entire Roots & Branches alumni community, along with their partners and families. The events and programs vary each year, but typically include Jewish holiday gatherings like Shabbat dinners as well as philanthropic or volunteer opportunities.
Since 2007, Roots & Branches Foundation has granted more than $590,000 to strengthen the Greater Denver and Boulder Jewish and broader communities.
The application period is now closed. The Roots & Branches Request for Proposals (PDF) is provided for reference only.
View our recent grants.
Roots & Branches Foundation was created in 2007 as a result of Rose Community Foundation’s Next Generation Initiative, which sought to explore and deepen the connection of Jews in their 20s and 30s to Jewish life. Roots & Branches was modeled after Rose Youth Foundation, and was shaped with input from Jews in their 20s and 30s from throughout Greater Denver and Boulder.
The Foundation’s goals in creating Roots & Branches Foundation were to:
- Empower young Jewish adults to explore their community and address its needs and challenges through the practice of strategic, Jewish philanthropy.
- Develop current and future community leaders by helping them connect their Jewish values and identities to the difference they seek to make in the world around them.
- Engage a diverse group of Jewish people in their 20s and 30s in a meaningful, shared Jewish experience.
- Engage young Jewish adults in the work of Rose Community Foundation and broaden the Foundation’s grantmaking perspective and reach.
If you are interested in making a donation to help increase the funds Roots & Branches Foundation will grant this year, visit Rose Community Foundation's online donation page (In the "Please direct my gift to" field, choose Roots & Branches Foundation.) or contact Sarah Indyk, director of special projects, at email@example.com or 303.398.7416. All donations to Roots & Branches Foundation exclusively fund the group’s grantmaking.
Shaping Our Jewish Future, Roots & Branches Foundation's Report to the Community